This is my new blog. My trainer suggested that her clients keep a journal about their journey through weight loss, so I wanted to make it more public in hopes I will inspire other people who are going through the same emotions and experiences I am. I also want to take this opportunity to write about my career and my wedding plans too 🙂 So, why “Life’s a Cake Pop”? Well first it’s no secret that I have chronic sweet tooth and it’s a funny title for a weight loss blog (lol??), it’s also my spin on life being “piece of cake” (more irony? really?). And, I just love cake pops. A cake pop is a charming spin on a traditional and classic dessert made modern, cute and totally delicious!
So, onto the topic that brought me here in the first place … losing weight! What a journey it has been so far. I started at the beginning of April with my trainer and I have lost almost 20 pounds! It’s such an incredible and rewarding feeling so far, but it has also been very emotional as well. Up and down and up and down. A week or two ago I just felt sad and depressed for about five days, like I could just break down crying at any moment, but everything in my daily life was great so what was going on?? I narrowed it down to I only felt that way when I was alone in the apartment when my fiance wasn’t home. Being alone, I sometimes felt vulnerable and too much pressure to make the right food choices … that sounds strange to me, but it must make sense on a psychological level, right? Well thank goodness I got over the hump and I don’t feel that way any more. And sometimes I will just feel ridiculously happy. It’s all part of the journey, and I am so fortunate to have such a great support system behind me!
I have learned SO much every since I started working out with my trainer. It’s one thing to push yourself to work out on your own, but it’s whole different world to have some one else work you out. Here is what I have learned:
• This is how I survive the work outs: Just do what the nice lady says.
• No matter how bad it hurts or how much you can’t breath, just push through! Nothing feels better than pushing through until the end. There have been a handful of times when I am on that treadmill thinking “This is it! I’m going to quit, this is the time I am going to quit! I’m getting off! I’m going to stop, I can’t go any further!” But I don’t let myself. And look at that, I survived! Push through.
• IMO The #1 key to successful eating if preparing meals for an entire week. For me personally, there is just no other way.
• “I want to lose weight, but I don’t like healthy food! I don’t like the treadmill! I don’t have time to work out! This food is too expensive!” GET OVER YOURSELF (this is fictional person, of course!) –or— don’t complain about being over-weight. Pick one. You only feel and look as good as you are treating your body.
• Exercising on a regular basis and eating less crap has completely cured my “Wake up/Go to work/Go to bed/Do it all over again” cycle and feeling “trapped” in my daily life. That was a low time in my life, and it was not that long ago. Now I have more energy than I ever have and I am a better person at work and in home life because of it.
• I catch myself still making excuses (see above), but my fiance and I are all about calling each other out on excuses now. Oohemgee I used to be the QUEEN of excuses! If you gave me something to do I would have 5 different excuses why I couldn’t do it. I knew every one in the book. I learned very quickly with my trainer that excuses = cheating yourself. Make sure to catch yourself when you want to make an excuse, because when you want something bad enough NOTHING will stand in your way!
The funny thing is I have been telling myself I have wanted this for so long (years!!!) and it is STILL so damn hard!! Having to undo 24 years of bad eating habits is not supposed to be easy I guess. One day at a time!
Well, that’s all for now! Next I might post about my job, and I will have to post pictures of my ridiculous DIY wedding invitations …. seriously – are there awards for DYI wedding stuff??? You’ll have to wait and see why 🙂 🙂